Who we are

Based in the San Francisco Bay area, We are a team of Professional Hair & Make-up Artists inspiring others for more than 13 years. For information on special event and consulting services please email us at info@miabel.com

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tricks of Tanning....

Tanning: To Actually Sun or Just Look Like You Did? By lauracarsonmiller Posted on April 23, 2009 - 12:42pm Posted on thesparkleshelf.com May’s issue of Allure has a section called ‘Sun & Skin’ and naturally it addresses how bad tanning is for your skin. This got me to wondering how many of you plan to actually seek out a real, sun-induced tan this year and how many are going to shun the sun in favor of your natural color or using self-tanning products? I have dark brown hair and basically an olive complexion, but the parts of me that never see the sun are stark white. When my legs are showing I prefer some color so I am a big fan of self-tanning products. I apply Aveeno body lotion with SPF every day. Before going out to exercise I apply extra sunscreen to any exposed areas and to my face and I wear a hat. I love the feeling of the sun on my skin but never without sun protection! I recently went to my dermatologist for my yearly full body skin check, just to make sure I was free and clear in the ‘suspicious skin growths’ department. Glamour just had their yearly issue that focuses on cancerous melanomas, which shows graphic pics and has testimonials from readers who benefited from getting their ‘mole check’ after reading Glam’s yearly articles. This derm visit is so, so important, people, and I can’t say enough about how much you don’t want to have something go undetected that might be on your back or have some ‘different looking mole’ that you think is ‘just nothing!’ – turn out to really be something – that a doctor can help you with! The best news is that shunning tanning doesn’t have to mean looking pale if that is not a look you are fond of! Don’t forgo self tanners if you are faired skinned either, as you can get great results with Rodial Brazilian Tan Light. Fans of this fabulous concoction include Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Richie and Victoria Beckham. For those who are looking for a more intense ‘tan,’ try Xen-Tan Dark Lotion. I personally love this brand and so do Nicolette Sheridan, Joan Rivers and Jamie Lynn Sigler. Self-tanning has progressed light years from the original formulas and with a little trial and error you can easily find one that is right for your skin tone. So, wear your sunscreen daily and be sure to make time for that yearly skin check, even if you aren’t a sun worshipper. Part of being a responsible adult is taking care of your health. Proper skin care is about more than serums and facials and only you can take your skin to the doctor and get checked out. It’s well worth it. Cheers, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment